Awesome

Awesome
View from the porch

Monday, January 24, 2011

Sense and Sensibility Bicentennial Reading Challenge

It has been too long since I read Sense and Sensibility. Am not so interested in prequels or sequels, rather am interested in critique and in analysis of Jane and her writing, so I'm in. What a celebration it will be to read, to watch, and to prepare for the JASNA AGM in Fort Worth in celebration of S&S Bicentennial. Let the reading begin. Here's my contribution to the CHALLENGE:

January: Re-watch Emma Thompson's version of the S&S video. Will post the most authentic scene (true to the book) and the most trumped up inauthentic scene. This remains my favorite version and I will list my reasons...

February: Review S&S portion of Deirdre Le Faye's Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels.

March: Review Relative Values: The Cost of Living from Venetia Murray's An Elegant Madness: High Society in Regency England.

April: Review Romance in Fiction and Fact from Audrey Hawkridge's Jane and Her Gentlemen: Jane Austen and the Men in Her Life and Her Novels.

May: Add perspective to S&S from Irene Collins' Jane Austen and the Clergy.

June: Watch and review videos: From Prada to Nada 2011 and I Have Found It.

July: Reread Sense and Sensibility. Identify and share aspects for further study and discussion at AGM and on Blogs.

August: Revisit my favorite Jane Austen biography and summarize Claire Tomlin's impressions of S&S in her Jane Austen: A Life.

September: Review all references to S&S in the compilation of Jane Austen's Letters by Deirdre Le Faye

October: Review articles posted on jasna.org in preparation for JASNA's Fort Worth AGM celebrating S&S Bicentennial.

November: Review discussion of S&S in Jane Austen: Women, Politics and the Novel by Claudia L. Johnson.

December: Watch 2008 BBC S&S with open mind and see if this version improves in my listing of favorite Austen videos.

What a year it will be to also keep up with Blog posts and other articles as Sense and Sensibility is celebrated!  IT WAS A GOOD YEAR!!  And the AGM in Fort Worth was a great success.  How Jane enriches my life! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn, I love your selections. Very creative. I hope to meet you at the JASNA Forth Worth conference. Happy reading. Laurel Ann

    ReplyDelete